Re: Chromium in Sid

On Saturday 22 May 2010 12:08:39 Steve Fishpaste wrote:
> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 11:41:38AM -0500, John Hasler uttered:
> > JohnRChamplin writes:
> > > ...which used to be available from unstable, but which I have heard is
> > > now in sid.
> >
> > Unstable _is_ Sid.
> >
> > In any case, a few weeks is not old.
>
> It is on a fast moving target, and especially in the case of a major
> release. Many improvements are rolled into the recent 6.x release.
>
> For those of use that also use Debian on a desktop/Laptop BESIDES a
> server; using old versions isn't usually desireable on the
> workstations where stability isn't as necessary as that of a
> production server.

I used Etch on my desktop and Laptop for quite a while with little to no loss
of functionality.  I don't really understand why you think you need the latest
release.  I want well-tested software so I can use it instead of fix it or
wait until it gets fixed.  I also want stable software so I'm not having to
relearn a UI every week or so.

Now, I currently run a mixed system on both my desktop and laptop.  It
includes packages from Lenny, testing, and Sid.  I originally did this to be
able to use KDE SC 4.2.  I am hoping that I can switch back to using stable
Debian for both the desktop and laptop once Squeeze is released.

I also use Debian on a number of servers.  I enable a mixed system there as
well, but I have yet to need to pull any packages from testing or Sid.