Re: Chromium in Sid

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:50:11AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. uttered:

[ ...] discussion on why I chose Sid on a workstation/laptop.

> I used Etch on my desktop and Laptop for quite a while with little to no loss
> of functionality.  I don't really understand why you think you need the latest
> release.  I want well-tested software so I can use it instead of fix it or
> wait until it gets fixed.  I also want stable software so I'm not having to
> relearn a UI every week or so.

Because some of us have new hardware and stable doesn't work so well
with and/or has antique versions of software. On a desktop/laptop I
want the latest as I use the latest hardware.

With Chromium there is no "stable" or "beta" it's a development
branch. So being the development branch, Debian should be in sync with
upstream, IMHO.

Google-Chrome is the only version that has stable/beta/developer
versions.

> Now, I currently run a mixed system on both my desktop and laptop.  It
> includes packages from Lenny, testing, and Sid.  I originally did this to be
> able to use KDE SC 4.2.  I am hoping that I can switch back to using stable
> Debian for both the desktop and laptop once Squeeze is released.
>
> I also use Debian on a number of servers.  I enable a mixed system there as
> well, but I have yet to need to pull any packages from testing or Sid.

Good for you. I use stable on my company's servers because there is no
need for the latest/greatest, stability is more desired as is uptime.