Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless

On Fri, 21 May 2010 22:12:20 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri,21.May.10, 14:43:47, Celejar wrote:
>
> > But I've long found the 'recommends' concept to be somewhat tricky and
> > perhaps to vary from maintainer to maintainer.  For example, mesa-utils
> > needs GLX, which, practically speaking, means that you need
> > libgl1-mesa-dri.  The maintainer refuses to make this even a
> > recommends, basically since the X server can run on a different machine:

> > Now, I'd bet (although I suppose that I may be wrong) that the vast
> > majority of Debian installations have the X server and clients on the
> > same machine, and the other case is probably the more 'unusual' one.
>
> Imagine a large organization with a lot of thin clients...

Understood.  But what I meant was that an awful lot of people could
potentially be hit by this, even if they're installing recommends,
which they'd probably assume should take care of this.

> > OTOH, acpi-support 'recommends' radeontool, even though this package is
> > utterly irrelevant to those without ATI Radeon chipsets:

> Oh, I can finally get rid of that one! (used to be a Depends and I
> forgot to check)
>
> Both are excelent examples :) But even if you disagree with the
> maintainer, in the end Debian is a do-ocracy.  That is, the one who does
> the job usually gets to decide how it's done ;)

Of course.  I was just suggesting that a more precise and consistent
definition of 'recommends' would be helpful.

Celejar