Re: Unable to connect to my home wireless

On Fri, 21 May 2010 13:51:45 -0400
Jordan Metzmeier <titan8990@gmail.com> wrote:

> The IRC bot in #debian has this to say about "why recommends":
>
>  From lenny onwards, apt-get and aptitude both install "Recommended"
> packages by default.  From <policy> section 7.2, Recommends, "declares a
> strong, but not absolute, dependency.  The Recommends field should list
> packages that would be found together with this one in all but unusual
> installations."  You're not that unusual, trust us.  By not installing
> "recommended" packages, you will be  missing functionality.

But I've long found the 'recommends' concept to be somewhat tricky and
perhaps to vary from maintainer to maintainer.  For example, mesa-utils
needs GLX, which, practically speaking, means that you need
libgl1-mesa-dri.  The maintainer refuses to make this even a
recommends, basically since the X server can run on a different machine:

Now, I'd bet (although I suppose that I may be wrong) that the vast
majority of Debian installations have the X server and clients on the
same machine, and the other case is probably the more 'unusual' one.

OTOH, acpi-support 'recommends' radeontool, even though this package is
utterly irrelevant to those without ATI Radeon chipsets:

Celejar