Re: How do I fsck and XFS file system in "Squeeze"

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:
> On 5/22/2010 2:22 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Mark Allums put forth on 5/21/2010 7:37 PM:
>>>
>>> 64-bit Knoppix is in the TODO list of Klaus Knopper, but for rescue
>>> purposes, 32-bit should be able to do the job.
>>
>> This is incorrect _if_ the filesystem is large and thus contains 64 bit
>> inode
>> numbers.  If there is any remote possibility that 64 bit inodes exist on
>> the
>> XFS filesystem to be checked/repaired, the rescue kernel and xfsprogs need
>> be 64 bit binaries.
>
> That's a very odd thing.  Thanks for correcting me.  I would not have
> guessed that file system structure would be dependent on OS word width.  I
> mean, that seems like a catastrophic implementation/design bug.

>From the SGI site:

Maximum Filesystem Size

For Linux 2.4, 2 TB. For Linux 2.6 and beyond, when using 64 bit
addressing in the block devices layer (CONFIG_LBD) and a 64 bit
platform, filesystem size limit increases to 9 million terabytes (or
the device limits). For these later kernels on 32 bit platforms, 16TB
is the current limit even with 64 bit addressing enabled in the block
layer.