Re: Cloned Lenny OS partition: bumped into hibernate and grub2 issues

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> I've recently swapped the hard drive on my box, after cloning my Lenny (and
> other) partition(s) from the old drive that was becoming too small. I just
> did dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hdb2
>
> After changing the UUID of the new partition and manually making some minor
> adjustments to /boot/grub/grub.cfg and /etc/fstab, the system boots OK, but
> there are two glitches I can't seem to sort out:
>
> 1. hibernation bails out with the message "Cannot find swap device",
> although there IS a big enough, and actively used swap partition on the new
> drive; and
>
> 2. update-grub still refers to the OS partition by the old UUID, which is no
> longer correct. In order to boot, I must manually edit grub.cfg, but I'd
> like this fixed *properly*.
>
> I suspect both issues are related to the changed UUIDs of both the swap and
> the OS partitions.
>
> Now, my questions to the savants out there:
> 1. How do I tell the hibernation scripts that there IS a swap device, but
> with another UUID?
> 2. Where do the grub2 scripts get their UUIDs from, so I can replace the
> wrong UUIDs with the right ones?

Re 1. Your swap partition's UUID must be different. Check
"/etc/initramfs-tools/". There is a "resume" file (in that dir or in a
subdir) that will have your swap partition's UUID.

Re 2. What do you mean by "After changing the UUID of the new
partition"? After "dd...", did your run "tune2fs -U ..." on your root
partition (or the equivalent for xfs, ...; I am assuming that you have
just one partition)? If you didn't, your root partition still has the
same UUID and update-grub is picking it up correctly (in which case, I
have no idea idea how you are booting up!).