Cloned Lenny OS partition: bumped into hibernate and grub2 issues

Howdy, fellow users of this magnificient OS called Debian!

I've recently swapped the hard drive on my box, after cloning my Lenny (and other) partition(s) from the old drive that was becoming too small. I just did
dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hdb2
After changing the UUID of the new partition and manually making some minor adjustments to /boot/grub/grub.cfg and /etc/fstab, the system boots OK, but there are two glitches I can't seem to sort out:

1. hibernation bails out with the message "Cannot find swap device", although there IS a big enough, and actively used swap partition on the new drive; and 2. update-grub still refers to the OS partition by the old UUID, which is no longer correct. In order to boot, I must manually edit grub.cfg, but I'd like this fixed *properly*.

I suspect both issues are related to the changed UUIDs of both the swap and the OS partitions.

Now, my questions to the savants out there:
1. How do I tell the hibernation scripts that there IS a swap device, but with another UUID? 2. Where do the grub2 scripts get their UUIDs from, so I can replace the wrong UUIDs with the right ones?

--
TIA,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801