Re: cross-connecting console ports?

Hi Miles,

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 04:59:38PM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Short of buying a remote KVM, it occurs to me that it might be possible
> to cross-connect the serial ports on the two computers - using a terminal
> program on one, to access the other, and vice versa.

This works fine; I do it all the time when testing hardware.

> Has anybody done this?  Any suggestions on where to start - both re.
> cabling (USB vs. serial cross-over), and/or software?

These days it becomes easier to have a bunch of USB ports than a
bunch of serial ports, so USB/serial converters are cheap and useful
and I've yet to find one that doesn't just work under Debian.

I used to use minicom, but lately I use "screen /dev/ttyUSB0 9600"
or whatever.

Cheers,
Andy