Re: cross-connecting console ports?

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Miles Fidelman wrote:

Has anybody done this? Any suggestions on where to start - both re. cabling (USB vs. serial cross-over), and/or software?

Hi Miles. Many of us have done this for years and years. You can go with a serial console over rj45 (including bios level tools) like iLO or DRAC or you can get Linux to provide you with a 'software serial console' that will be available from the bootloader (lilo or grub) onwards.

A quick Google should turn up howtos on how to configure Grub & friends.

I've always used true serial ports to do this although I understand it is possible via usb-serial connectors.

You can use any serial terminal app to provide access to the serial port. I prefer minicom but there are lots of options.

Keep security in mind when doing this. If soneone gets root access[1] to one of the servers then they can 0wn the other one. Don't cross-connect the serial consoles unless the servers are in the same 'security domain'.

[1] You can restrict who can talk to minicom for example.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert@timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440