cross-connecting console ports?

Hi Folks,

I have two rack-mounted servers located in a datacenter, running Debian Lenny. Every once in a while, in order to install stuff, I have to physically go to the data center and connect a terminal to one server or the other.

Short of buying a remote KVM, it occurs to me that it might be possible to cross-connect the serial ports on the two computers - using a terminal program on one, to access the other, and vice versa.

Has anybody done this? Any suggestions on where to start - both re. cabling (USB vs. serial cross-over), and/or software?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman