Re: Flash is open?

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 21:52 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > There are many situations where the user has the PDF file but lacks the
> > original document, and if you want to perform any modification in that
> > file, we (linux users) are stuck :-/
>
> But in the Free Software world, we usually consider that not having the
> course is a problem in itself.  Being able to modify the "output binary"
> might be a handy workaround, but it's still a workaround.
>
> I'm not judging whether that attitude is right or not, I'm just giving
> it as an explanation why you don't see good support for PDF
> editing here.  It's a problem that most people don't even bump into
> (except when they receive forms from the Windows world).
<snip>
I would disagree.  It was quite enlightening to see one of our clients
work in a highly paperless way.  They received FAXes via email as pdfs,
open them in Acrobat, deskew, ocr to grab text for other documents based
on those faxes, make any annotations, and save the FAX into their
directory structure.  They receive construction drawings as large PDF
files, bind them, optimize them, stamp them as received, approved, etc.,
mark them up for distribution without printing off sets of large plotter
prints- all done with Acrobat and nothing specific to Windows.  In fact,
they are desperately trying to move away from Windows and Acrobat is the
major stumbling block - John