Re: PDF grief - was Re: Flash is open?

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 14:24 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/14/2010 01:40 PM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> >>
> >> Forms, you mean?
> > No, editing the PDF file, e.g., adding text, stamps, markups.
>
> But, but, but... you're not *supposed* to edit PDF files!
That may have been the original idea but creativity finds ingenious ways
to use tools in ways not originally envisioned.  Our very first client
has turned out to be one of those users.  They have greatly streamlined
their business process by somewhat unorthodox and very effective use of
Acrobat.  What they are doing in Windows is better for them than what we
can give them on Debian.

> >> Disable internet access and they can't get infected by malware.
> > Not something that will sell the solution.  They can run their business
> > with the distraction of malware and the expense of malware solutions.
> > They can't run their business if the functionality is missing with no
> > viable workaround.  Editing a page at a time in GIMP, editing a page at
>
> You miss my point: leave them on Windows and disable internet access.
Sorry 'bout that.  What we've done is given them Acrobat on Windows via
SeamlessRDP.  Of course, that makes me further incensed at the
proprietary world as we have seen Adobe and Microsoft insist that we
relicense already fully licensed software to run them on a terminal
server instead of on a physical desktop!!! Thanks - John