Re: PDF grief - was Re: Flash is open?

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 06:31 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/14/2010 06:14 AM, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 06:52 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> Look at PDF. PDF became a ISO/IEC standard but we (at linux) still lack
> >> for a PDF editor that can compete with Acrobat Professional.
> > <snip>
> > That comment really strikes home.  We are working on a potential major
> > Windows desktop replacement project.  The two things that are absolutely
> > killing us are email and a viable substitute for Acrobat Standard.  We
> > can roughly mimic everything Acrobat does
>
> Forms, you mean?
No, editing the PDF file, e.g., adding text, stamps, markups.

> >                                            but only with create
> > complexity, taking ten times longer to get it done, using several
> > applications in the process, having less than comparable results, and
> > making the process detestable to the end users who wonder why would
> > anyone give up Windows for this.  There are couple of admirable efforts
> > out there but they have a very, very long way to go - John
> >

> Disable internet access and they can't get infected by malware.
Not something that will sell the solution.  They can run their business
with the distraction of malware and the expense of malware solutions.
They can't run their business if the functionality is missing with no
viable workaround.  Editing a page at a time in GIMP, editing a page at
a time in Inkscape and watching it crash on large construction drawings
after consuming 3GB of RAM, importing a page at a time in Scribus only
to have it display anything half the time, seeing negative images or
text flowing over the margins in OpenOffice pdfimport, the ability to
only add text in pdfedit, xournal, or flpsed, deskewing and OCR in
gscan2pdf really aren't viable options.