Re: monitoring internet availability and sending sms alert?

On 05/14/2010 10:04 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
[snip]

Isn't this what SNMP was designed for?

There was probably a lot more that it was designed for. Plus one of the
first things to appear in google:

"Despite its acronym, SNMP is not exactly simple! In fact, it never
ceases to amaze me how much of a black art implementing and using SNMP"

But snmp relies on the network, no?

I don't necessarily want to avoid it, it's just got that 'can-of-worms'
sort of feel to it and I'm hoping I only need the little script in bash.
Or at least I did until I realised I'd have to tie ping together with
dyndns.org and smsclient. Possibly a brainer. I mean, not a no-brainer.

Shell programming is *incredibly* rich. With pipes, "variable substitution" redirection, file io, all manner of control operators, dialog/zenity, etc, etc.

If (as I suspect) you're new to bash programming, doing this yourself will open you up to a world of possibilities you barely knew existed.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?