Re: PDF grief - was Re: Flash is open?

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 14:22 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2010 13:40:35 John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> > > Forms, you mean?
> >
> > No, editing the PDF file, e.g., adding text, stamps, markups.
> >
> > They can't run their business if the functionality is missing with no
> > viable workaround.  Editing a page at a time in GIMP, editing a page at
> > a time in Inkscape and watching it crash on large construction drawings
> > after consuming 3GB of RAM, importing a page at a time in Scribus only
> > to have it display anything half the time, seeing negative images or
> > text flowing over the margins in OpenOffice pdfimport, the ability to
> > only add text in pdfedit, xournal, or flpsed, deskewing and OCR in
> > gscan2pdf really aren't viable options.
>
> That's the most cogent argument I've heard for paying for Adobe Acrobat (or
> whatever they call it now) for now, and donating *at least* as many resources
> toward and professional F(L)OSS PDF editor.
Yes, exactly.  We are hoping that, as we build our business and become
cash positive, a part of our profits can be used to shore up those areas
where FOSS is still weak as a desktop solution.  We have just put out
and received a response to our first bounty for fixing Kontact in KDE
3.5 so it is robust enough for Enterprise use and integration with
Zimbra.  A viable PDF editor is high on our list - John