Re: Flash is open?

On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:45:36 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Can we (we=people) make our own Flash implementation by using Adobe
>> Flash specs?
>
> Yes. "Developers are now free to implement what is documented in the
> specifications without restrictions from Adobe."
>
> I think you might separate the description of file format (free) and the
> code itself (proprietary). So you can write your flash player using the
> documentation but you cannot get the code of Adobe Flash Player.

O.k. here is what I was looking for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWF#Licensing

>> Oh, no, but... If W3C does not trust "Flash" technology to be included
>> as one of their recommended standards, why should I? That is the point.
>
> Linux, FreeBSD, OSX and other OSs included in that W3C standards? I
> think the answer is no... Do you have trust in them?

"Linux, FreeBSD, OSX and other OSs" all of them include their own
licencing model, whatever it is (closed or open sourced), so I can use
the software knowing beforehand what I can (or can't) do with it.

The licensing model of Flash was (very) unclear for me, that is what I
meant to say. And heck, it was recently "opened" (2008?) so it's a
evolving license that could "dissolve" into something worse.

Do not get me wrong, I'm only saying that if I were a developer, I would
have many doubts in choosing a flash format for any of my works.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón