Re: Flash is open?

On 05/14/2010 07:04 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2010 13:37:44 +0200, Artifex Maximus wrote:

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Camaleón wrote:

"Published" does not means FLOSS or GPL. I would like to know what is
the licence of Flash :-)

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/swf/

"The SWF file format is available as an open specification ..."

I hope that is more than "pretty words" :-)

Do we say that about the thousands of RFCs written by people at companies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_specifications

"An open specification is not controlled by a single company or
individual or by a group with discriminatory membership criteria. Copies
of Open Specifications are available free of charge or for a moderate
fee and can be implemented under reasonable and non discriminatory
licensing (RAND) terms by all interested parties."

So that means...?

a/ That I can modify the code of Flash without any fear of Adobe being
suing me :-)

Pay attention, for God's sake!

Their *code* is proprietary, their file specs are not.

b/ That I can "read" and "use" their specs, but nothing more.

"b" option is not very good for a FLOSS community :-/

Give it a rest already.

And for some other informations:

http://www.openscreenproject.org/about/faq.html

"Where are the new licenses for the SWF and FLV/F4V specifications?

Adobe has removed the entire license agreement from the SWF and FLV/F4V
specifications. The only remaining restrictions are on copying and
distributing the specifications themselves and on the use of Adobe
trademarks, including the Flash trademark. The copyright and trademark
restrictions are on the copyright page of the specification. Developers
are now free to implement what is documented in the specifications
without restrictions from Adobe."

Sorry, but I do cannot fully trust Adobe nor any company behind a product
with such "terse" license model...

No one is holding your feet to the fire while simultaneously waterboarding you, saying "Trust Adobe!!"

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?