Re: Flash is open?

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> AFAIK:
>>>
>>> #1 As per Wikipedia → Licence: Proprietary EULA (it can be wrong,
>>> though) #2 Adobe Flash Player is closed source, non freely
>>> distributable, etc... #3 Falls into #1 (is just a "container")
>>
>> No.  It's a file format, and that file format has (except for Sorensen
>> Spark) been published.
>
> "Published" does not means FLOSS or GPL. I would like to know what is the
> licence of Flash :-)

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/swf/

"The SWF file format is available as an open specification ..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_specifications

"An open specification is not controlled by a single company or
individual or by a group with discriminatory membership criteria.
Copies of Open Specifications are available free of charge or for a
moderate fee and can be implemented under reasonable and non
discriminatory licensing (RAND) terms by all interested parties."

And for some other informations:

http://www.openscreenproject.org/about/faq.html

"Where are the new licenses for the SWF and FLV/F4V specifications?

Adobe has removed the entire license agreement from the SWF and
FLV/F4V specifications. The only remaining restrictions are on copying
and distributing the specifications themselves and on the use of Adobe
trademarks, including the Flash trademark. The copyright and trademark
restrictions are on the copyright page of the specification.
Developers are now free to implement what is documented in the
specifications without restrictions from Adobe."

Bye,