Re: Lenny to Squeeze upgrade problems

On Wednesday 12 May 2010 17:07:09 Nick Douma wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 04:44:12PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> > > It does appear when you do the aptitude full-upgrade, but it doesn't
> > > block the output, it just shoots by.
> > >
> > > I do wonder how they will handle this when squeeze gets stable. The
> > > whole update your kernel, reboot, update the rest is a bit too easy to
> > > fuck up for my taste. I completely assumed that I could just change the
> > > apt sources.list and do the full-upgrade.
> >
> > You should *always* read the release notes first.  It is actually rather
> > rare that a release just needs an 'aptitude full-upgrade'.  Usually,
> > perl, apt, aptitude, or dpkg should be updated first.
>
> Well, I did try to look for release notes, but I did not find any for
>  Squeeze.

Yeah, they usually don't get worked on until after the testing freeze.  They
will be fairly complete by the time Squeeze is released.  Until then, you are
on your own; upgrades from stable to testing are sometimes tested throughout
the stable life cycle, but all the issues aren't addressed until it's better
known what will actually be in the new stable.

If you want testing, best to install testing, really.  Stable and the upgrade
is possible, but it's actually slower.  (It might be the best way is the
testing d-i is broken, though.)