Re: Switching from NV to Nouveau in Squeeze

>Saw that xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package is now in the main
>repository.

It does not appear to be in Sid or Squeeze as of this afternoon. (EST USA)
yes. However, I notice that 'nv' is still in Squeeze-main contrib non-free:

xserver-xorg-video-nv  1:2.1.17-2

but nv appears to be 'broken' if used in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, on my
version of things. Perhaps this is the result of some Debian religious
fanatics, but I think it's time to bid adeau to nv, alas it served me well.

I installed nouveau:

xserver-xorg-video-nouveau      1:0.0.15+git20100329+7858345-3 X.Org X
server -- Nouveau display driver (experimental)

and placed it, instead, into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and lo it brought
forth an X session and looked just like nv. But, nv and nouveau are,
no pun intended, a bit two dimensional when one still has available the
nvidia-glx Xorg driver one should simply use it if one's hardware will comply.

Here's my #dpkg -l | grep nvidia list: (formatted to fit your screen)

nvidia-glx 190.53-4         NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
nvidia-glx-dev 190.53-4
nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-5-amd64   190.53-4+2.6.32-12
nvidia-kernel-common               20100216+3+nmu1
nvidia-kernel-source                 190.53-4

You must compile the kernel-source package with:

# m-a -t clean,a-i nvidia-kernel-source

and if you have the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and I don't see why you
shouldn't, then manually write in "nvidia" here:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Driver          "nvidia"

 and there you go.

I'm using an Nvidia 9800GT gigabyte graphics card requiring a PCI Express x16
slot.

If you have the hardware to use this driver, I would recommend it.

Deo Soli Debiane, Invicto, Seculari