Re: Re: Switching from NV to Nouveau in Squeeze

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2010-05-11 17:06 +0200, Snood wrote:

Did some research on Nouveau drivers. Was about to download, compile,
etc. Saw that xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package is now in the main
repository. Does that mean that going through all the machinations is
no longer necessary?

Yes, that does it mean.

Very nice. I love surprises like this. It's why I use Squeeze.

If I tell aptitude (ncurses) to install the package it also indicates
the need to install libdrm-nouveau1, but there's no sign that it's
actually going to switch the system from nv to nouveau.

This will happen with the next upload of xserver-xorg-core.  Till then,
you need a minimal xorg.conf to use nouveau.  And a kernel from sid.

Very interesting. I guess I'm going to be tempted to await the xserver-xorg-core package upgrade. I have been astonished at how reliable Squeeze has been -- despite the fact that I have unfailingly accepted every single upgrade offered without flinching (main and security repositories only).

I'm reluctant to mix unstable and testing bits on my primary system. But I may decide to become brave if the wait is long.

I've looked for information, but I must be looking in all the wrong
places. All I can find is information about how to install nouveau the
"old" way.

Consult the README.Debian in the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package, it
hopefully contains all necessary information.

Man, am I a dummy! For some reason I forgot that there are README files in these packages. I was looking for man pages and write-ups in the wikis and stuff.

Good luck,
Sven

Many thanks for your extremely helpful post!

Best,
Sam