Re: KDE4 & KDE3 || Gnome2 & Gnome3

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 21:37 +0200, deloptes wrote:
> Alan Ianson wrote:
>

> > Yes, that is on my radar too. It looks to be for ubuntu but I am not sure
> > of their goals. I'm kind of hoping for kde3 that can be developed and used
> > as always for anyone interested and any distribution.
> >
> > I suppose I am hoping for a lot.. :)
>
> I don't think so. "We, the people" decide what we do. So I think the debian
> community could need such kde line for squeeze when it gets stable and for
> the current sid when it becomes testing. I don't think kde will make it
> cover our needs until at least 4.5. Which means at least one more year. So
> I see here a pay off for the effort.
>
> If there were a server space we could setup our unofficial repo for kde3 for
> debian.
>
> regards

I think you will find Tim Pearson and Trinity quite open to the Debian
community. In fact, we just offered a bounty to them for fixing
Kontact/Zimbra integration in 3.5.x for Lenny. If anyone else is
interested in contributing to this bounty, please let me know as Kontact
is one of the parts of 3.5.x which is badly broken and only fixed in
4.x.  We've also put together a script to tie Kontact (well,
KAddressbook) to Asterisk so one can dial from within Kontact securely
via Zimbra.  I'm sure that could easily be extended to other backends
and we'd be more than happy to share that with the community.  Thanks -
John