libc6 upgrade lenny to squeeze failed, now dpkg is broken - SOLVED

Hi,

Looking on http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libc-bin and clicking on the
list of files for i386, shows that ldconfig should be in /sbin/.

I had been using KPackage, and found that the downloaded .deb's were in
the .kpackage subdirectory of my home directory.  I created a temporary
directory NewLibcBin and did cd .kpackage, then as su did:

debian:/home/chris/.kpackage# dpkg-deb --extract
libc-bin_2.10.2-6_i386.deb /home/chris/NewLibcBin/

Then back in my home directory I did cp NewLibcBin/sbin/ldconfig /sbin/

Then back in the .kpackage subdirectory I did:

debian:/home/chris/.kpackage# dpkg -i libc-bin_2.10.2-6_i386.deb

and this time it worked.  I was then able to install the squeeze libc6 from
KPackage, and to carry on installing other new packages from KPackage.

* Are there any other important packages in Squeeze one should be careful
with in this kind of "upgrade as needed"? *

Best regards,
Chris Austin.