Re: KDE4 & KDE3 || Gnome2 & Gnome3

Alan Ianson wrote:

> On Tue May 11 2010 08:41:59 am deloptes wrote:
>
>> Don't understand me wrong. I am for improvement and progress but not the
>> way kde4 is pushing it to the end user.
>
> If there was enough interest, kde3 could continue to be developed as it's
> own project.
>
> I would support the project but I can't contribute anything more than bug
> reports since I am just a user and not a programmer.

I remember I asked on kde-develop and they said they don't have the
ressources to support it. But what I mean is that someone should care to
get the code compiled on newer libraries. This could be challenging though
if the code is working ATM, it's not that much effort to keep it running at
least for the next few years.

The interest is present I think, but not in the focus of interest of kde
management/development team. I personally could and will make a repo for my
needs ... but it does not seem to be urgent ATM. If someone starts similar
project I would love to know and join.

Hm, so we have to think about doing something like kde3.10 for debian
squeeze. I personally hate k/ubuntu but there are few very useful features
in the 3.10 version there.

This plan could cover 3-4 years. And in that time kde4 should have matured
enough to fit our needs.

As far as I know kde3 is not in squeeze (apps are supported but framework
not) or am I wrong?

What do you think?

regards