Re: How to Find a Printer Driver?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
Rarely are PPDs for a *specific* model. They are usually for a model family. I have a HP PhotoSmart C8150 and it uses the PhotoSmart C8100 driver. This isn't different in MS Windows or OS X.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that; I just expected something close, or at least some indication somewhere of which one to use.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-
web/models/color_laserjet/hp_color_laserjet_cm3530_mfp.html indicates that you need hplip 2.8.10 or better and it should have it's own driver. Lenny has 2.8.6; backports, testing, and Sid have 3.10.2.

Ah, thanks for that. So apparently HP's other page, as I posted elsewhere ("Hmm, HP's website (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install_wizard/index.html) says that Debian Lenny's hplip (v 2.8.6) supports the CM3530.") is wrong.

I thought all Debian packages are
supposed to have a man page, even if it does nothing more than point to
some other documentation?

All binaries under /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, and /usr/sbin should have a manpage, per the policy. Often packages will be named after one of those binaries, but not always. When they are not, the package name does not have to have a manpage associated with it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

So, all that's left is for me to figure out how to pull just the one package from Testing. Would it work for me to just manually go find the .deb package on the Debian website and "dpkg -i" it?

Thanks!

--
Kent West     <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com