Re: adding 192.x with static IP

On Tue, 04 May 2010 14:53:25 -0500

> On 05/04/2010 10:59 AM, Joe wrote:
> > On 04/05/10 16:17, Ron Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> >>
> >> Or just, within /etc/network/interfaces, give yourself the static
> >> address 192.168.1.2.
> >>

> > Indeed so, in this case. In the general case, it might be quicker to
> > enable DHCP than to find out what network the router resets to. Usually
> > 192.168.0. or 192.168.1., but not always.
> >

> That's an interesting point.

Indeed.  I was just trying to help, over the phone, a Windows user set
up a new router, in the absence of a manual.  I told her "go to
192.168.0.1", then "192.168.1.1".  Nothing doing.  Finally, I searched
online for the manual, which gave the address as "routerlogin.net" or
something like that.  I still have no idea what the IP address is.

Celejar