Re: installing Lenny packages in Squeeze

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 06:02:18PM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 April 2010 05:35:29 pm Rob Owens wrote:
> > If I were to install a bare-bones Squeeze system, then add Lenny
> > repositories and declare Lenny to be the Default-Release in apt.conf,
> > can I expect to have many problems installing a full desktop environment
> > from the Lenny repos?  (Gnome, LXDE, or Fluxbox, most likely).
> >
> > Reason:
> >
> > I use a Debian-Live USB and I like to run Lenny because of the
> > infrequent updates.  But one of my laptops requires the Squeeze kernel
> > in order for wifi to work.  I've been told by the Debian-Live developer
> > that I cannot install alternate kernels on my live system (otherwise I'd
> > be able to use a kernel from backports.org).
> >
> > -Rob
>
> Can you use one of these ?
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately, I don't think I can use those.
My understanding is that live-helper must build the kernel so that
certain modules necessary to the live system get included.  I confess
that I don't completely understand that answer, but it's what I was told
by the developer.

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to do a traditional install of Debian
onto a USB flash drive.  I'm trying to install a "live" system, which is
different because it is designed to be run on many different computers
(like a Knoppix CD, but it's a straight Debian system).

-Rob