Re: installing Lenny packages in Squeeze

On Wednesday 28 April 2010 22:11:00 Rob Owens wrote:
> My understanding is that live-helper must build the kernel so that
> certain modules necessary to the live system get included.  I confess
> that I don't completely understand that answer, but it's what I was told
> by the developer.

You should look into the live-helper configuration and adjust where it gets
the kernel source and any (extra?) patches it applies.  It should be able to
work with kernel sources provided from lenny-backports with the proper
configuration, since it already works with both Lenny and Squeeze kernel
sources.  The bpo kernels are not packaged significantly differently.

If live-helper doesn't have any relevant configuration, looking into how it
receives, patches, compiles, and packages the kernel should give you some
insight into a work-around.  (e.g. repackaging the bpo kernel package to have
the same package name but a higher version than the Lenny kernel package.)