Re: Cannot stop XDM service

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 08:27:57PM -0600, Tom Schlodder wrote:
> First of all, I am very new to Linux but am well aware of the need to
> learn.  After considerable googling with my issue, I gave up and thought I'd
> try a mailing list instead :)
>
> In attempting to install the cvm package (apt-get install cvm), I recieve a
> warning indicating that the XDM service cannot be automatically
> stopped/started and that I should do so manually.
>
> I then use rcconf to remove the little dot-selector-thingy beside XDM,
> which, as far as I understand, should stop the service immediately, but
> errors ensue in the rest of the installation and when I continue the
> installation again (apt-get -f install) I recieve the same warning that XDM
> is running and needs to be stopped manually.  Checking in rcconf, the
> service is already unselected.  Taking a hint from my background with MS
> Windows, I restarted the computer and tried the installation again; same
> warning and rcconf still shows the service as unselected.

At the command line, you can start/stop service like this:

(as root):

/etc/init.d/someservice stop
/etc/init.d/someservice start

There is also the invoke-rc.d command, which works similarly, but I
don't use that so I'm not really qualified to recommend it.

Note that there are other parameters besides stop and start.  Two that
come to mind are "restart" and "reload".

Tab completion can be handy when stopping/starting services.  Type:

/etc/init.d/x   -- and then hit tab.

You may have to hit tab twice.
Hitting tab will either complete the command that starts with "x", or if
multiple commands start with "x", hitting tab twice will show you a list
of those commands.

Good luck in your quest for learning.

-Rob