Re: Ctrl+alt+Fn not showing consoles

Anand Sivaram wrote:
How about single user mode?  Are you able to get virtual console there.
Also try to disable gdm/kdm, see whether virtual consoles are working.

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 16:08, rudu <rudu@cegetel.net <mailto:rudu@cegetel.net>> wrote:

    Le 27/04/2010 03:48, Hugo Vanwoerkom a écrit :

        rudu wrote:

            Le 26/04/2010 20:55, Hugo Vanwoerkom a écrit :

                So are you still running nv?

            Yes

                and what was the driver that wouldn't compile?
                I run x86-195.36.15 on the latest Sid kernel and it
                compiles just
                fine, but I don't (yet) have a AMD64 system.

            Excerpt from /var/log/nvidia-installer.log :

                Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
                WARNING: Skipping the runlevel check (the utility
                `runlevel` failed
                to run).
                -> License accepted.
                -> Installing NVIDIA driver version 195.36.15.
                -> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
                -> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
                -> The CC version check failed:

                  [...]

        Indeed. Forget this if it is beating a dead horse, but did you have
        gcc-4.3 + gcc-4.4 both installed? I did and I set the symlink gcc to
        gcc-4.3 and that got rid of the message.

    Thank you Hugo, I managed to compile the proprietary driver.
    Now every ctrl+alt+Fn leads to a complete black screen, with no
    prompt or cursor or anything.
    Ctrl+alt+F7 works as expected.
    Could it be that my system stopped creating the consoles at boot time ?
    What should I check and where ?

Well, I'll be darned. This is a new one for me.
What display manager are you using? Gdm, Kdm...?
What happens if stop the display manager?

Like, I use gdm and I can stop it with '/etc/init.d/gdm stop'
Then I can disable gdm from coming up by inserting 'exit 0'in the beginning.

Then I can see the VT's that I have, normally there are 6 Ctrl+Alt+F1-6.
Then I can log in as user on one of them and issue
'startx -- :0 -layout X1 -dpi 110 -isolateDevice PCI:1:0:0'

and on VT7 see the X user session. But that will depend on how xorg.conf is set up.

Hugo