Re: Filesystem recommendations

Javier Barroso put forth on 4/26/2010 6:56 AM:

> Hello Stan,
>
> Why Debian Installer doesn't change its default filesystem to xfs if
> it is better than ext3 / ext4? I think always is better stick to
> defaults if it is possible
>
> Thanks for your explications !

If one disk filesystem was better than all the others in all ways, then
Linus would only allow one FS in the kernel tree.  As of 2.6.33 there are no
less than 7 stable primary disk filesystems offered in the kernel.  Your
question is a bit simplistic, and not really valid.  There is no single
"perfect" filesystem.  IMO, for servers anyway, XFS is pretty close.

Newbies _should_ always stick to defaults.  Experts install with expert
mode, and choose exactly what they want/need.

I didn't write the Debian installer so I can't tell you why EXT is the
default.  I can only speculate.  Thankfully the installer offers us expert
mode so we can do whatever we want.  In this regard, I guess the Debian team
considers EXT the best choice for non-experts.

--
Stan