Re: Filesystem recommendations

Mark Allums put forth on 4/25/2010 1:19 AM:

> (Why? ext3 and 4 are exceptionally well supported by Linux and GNU.  XFS
> will be, too, probably.)

Are you kidding?  XFS already is all of the things you mention.  You
apparently need a history lesson.

XFS went into production systems starting in 1993 on SGI's Indy
workstations.  XFS was GPL'd by SGI in 2000, and was in Linux mainline just
before EXT3, since mid 2001 in kernel 2.4.  It was used almost exclusively
on the IA64 Altix machines.  It took a while before non SGI customers
starting trying out XFS on i386 hardware.

EXT3 arrived in mainline in Nov 2001, a few months _after_ XFS.  Both have
been in the mainline kernel for almost 9 years.  You talk as if XFS is
somehow "new" to Linux lol.  I'd guess that XFS has been in mainline longer
than many subscribers to this list have been using Linux.

I'd also guess that XFS seems "new" to a lot of people because it's never
been the default filesystem for any major Linux distro on i386/AMD64.  Lack
of "exposure" to something doesn't mean it's "new".

XFS has had just as much development support in Linux as EXT3/4 have,
possibly more in some areas.  It predates all Linux filesystems with the
exception of the original EXT.  XFS has been in production systems since
1993, less than a year after Linus announced his very first Linux code was
available for download via ftp, when he was still in college.  That's 17
years ago!  EXT3 is young, and EXT4 is an infant compared to XFS.  XFS is
older than EXT2 and older than many Linux users.

Did I forget to mention that XFS is pretty old?  17 years old.  And that
it's fully supported by the kernel community?  I'm not sure what you mean by
"supported by GNU".  XFS is compiled by the GNU tool chain just like
everything else in Linux is.  It's released under the GNU GPL.  It's
available and fully supported under Debian/GNU Linux.  I should know,
because that's what I run on my servers, with XFS.

--
Stan