Re: Filesystem recommendations

On 04/24/2010 12:53 PM, B. Alexander wrote:
Hi,

So now, I would like to slowly start replacing my reiser3 partitions
with...something else. There are two options, the old standards, e.g.
ext3/4, xfs, etc, and then there are a slew of new filesystems, such as
nilfs2, btrfs and exofs.

You probably want ext3 now, and ext4 soon. Midterm, you will want ext4 and XFS. Longer term, btrfs will be the wasp's nipples, if it pans out. (Linus uses it now, allegededly.) I wanted to like ZFS, but Sun is now Oracle, and thus over it hangs a dark cloud. Besides, we can almost get the benefits of ZFS with Linux RAID plus LVM2.

MAA

(Why? ext3 and 4 are exceptionally well supported by Linux and GNU. XFS will be, too, probably.)