Re: Icedove/Thunderbird 3.0 (was Re: The future of "nv" ...)

On 04/25/2010 09:56 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Lots of other issues, such as the message header being huge, are taken
care of in addons. And lots of Tb2 bugs are fixed in Tb3 (such as the
invalid server cert issue).

But Tbird/ID 2.0.x (the layout and UI) was *not* broken!

What is "broken"? What would you say if an Ubuntard posted saying that
his OS is broken? Would you even answer the post? What issues do you
have? What is not intuitive? What doesn't work as you expect?

Why else would "they" have made the radical UI changes unless "they" thought the traditional UI was broken (i.e. substantialy flawed)?

What issues do you have? I can point you to the bugs, and I can help
suggest addons.

It's "different" for *no ascertainable reasons*.

You might want to try Help ->  Migration Assistant ->  Use Original Toolbar
That might be more familiar to you.

I'd already done that, but decided to take another look at MA, and thus disabled "Smart folders mode".

Fix what *is* broken, not what's not broken.

The problem is that no two people agree on what needs changing. I
suggest that you look at the Muttator extensioin, then you can safely
ignore most of the Thunderbird UI.

Jeez, everyone know that *my* opinion is the only one that counts!

The same with FireFox/Iceweasel.  Major UI and add-on redesigns in an
upcoming version, but the UI is fine just like it is.

The Firefox UI didn't really change all that much.

Not in v3.6, but it's coming.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Projects/3.7_and_4.0_Theme_and_UI_Revamp/Direction_and_Feedback

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?