Re: Re: The future of "nv" driver (was: Linux compatible mainboards -another thought)

On 01/-10/-28163 02:59 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> That's one difference between us: I don't use Compiz.

That's not a difference. I don't use it, either. My use of Compiz was just a part of exploration of the Gnome DE. I don't even use Gnome now.

> ... because I don't need glitzy special effects.

Neither do I. That's why I use Xfce.

> Are there any non-glitzy benefits to compositors?

I occasionally turn on Xfce's compositing for specific tasks in which it actually makes my work easier. But most if the time, it's off.

> Which driver version do you use?

nv - Debian Squeeze

Gave up finally in December last year trying to get the blobs to work reliably. They're simply not worth the effort for someone with my particular needs.

I'm reasonably happy with the systems with the nvidia workstation cards. But the cheaper systems with Intel and ATI graphics are faster and handle any special effects I might want (like occasional use of desktop compositing) better, and I'm happier with them. Nvidia is simply not on my radar for any future systems because I consider their approach to Linux to be inimical to FOSS.

PS: My apologies. Recent update to my mail client coupled with lack of sleep. I accidentally sent Ron a direct e-mail reply. Mea culpa.