Re: Moving to Debian: updated software

On 04/24/2010 01:02 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 24 April 2010 02:38, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson@cox.net>  wrote:
On 04/22/2010 03:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
[snip]

It looks to me that Backports is the best for an everyday
user who values stability, and prefers to use released software
version. Please let me know where I am mistaken. Thanks.

"stable with current releases" is a contradiction.  If you want current
releases, run Testing or Unstable.  (Ignore the scary words from the
website.  Testing and Unstable are Stable Enough.)

Thanks, Ron. I don't see the contradiction: I want released software,
no betas or alphas.

Testing/Sid *occasionally* have beta software (you can tell by the "-b" in the version number).

Note the word "occasionally".

Mostly, though, since all non-trivial s/w has bugs, Testing and Unstable shake out packaging bugs and software bugs is released software.

                     I am using the word "stable" as in "not crashy
(doesn't fall down)", not in the sense of "doesn't change".

I wondered if Testing or Unstable would provide that.

Yes, absolutely.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?