Re: Moving to Debian: updated software

On 04/22/2010 03:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
[snip]
It looks to me that Backports is the best for an everyday
user who values stability, and prefers to use released software
version. Please let me know where I am mistaken. Thanks.

"stable with current releases" is a contradiction. If you want current releases, run Testing or Unstable. (Ignore the scary words from the website. Testing and Unstable are Stable Enough.)

If you *really want* Stable, though, deinstall iceweseal, icedove, openoffice, etc and get their binaries directly from upstream. There's no shame in that. (For OOo, I'd recommend www.go-oo.org; it's Debian's upstream.)

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?