Re: Linux compatible mainboards -another thought

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2010-04-21 14:48, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]

Eh. I'm still running .31 from December. (Will soon be upgrading to .33, though.)

So will I, as soon as it gets out of experimental

Or roll your own kernel.  You'll learn a lot.

I used to roll my own kernel when the Debian package did not recognize my USB drives (fixed with adding ums-cypress to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules) or did not recognize my framebuffer (fixed by adding edd=off to the kernel cmdline).

I used to both recompile the Debian package as documented:
http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage

and roll my own kernel.

The objection I have to the latter is that one is never quite sure that .config is correct with the new kernel. My own kernel never had the problem with USB drives, or with framebuffer, but yet the best of all worlds is to just install the latest Debian kernel and have it work.

What works with the Debian package and I could never get to work with my own kernel is:

smartctl -d sat /dev/sda --all -T permissive (=USB drive)

which is another reason that I rather not roll my own: too much diddling to find the problem.

This will get worse when I get the new mobo.

Hugo