Re: Linux compatible mainboards -another thought

On 2010-04-21 12:22, Camaleón wrote:
[snip]

For GeForce 7600GS you have the following options:

1/ "nv" driver (only 2-D)

Except that Nvidia deprecated this driver a few weeks ago...

2/ "nvidia" driver from Debian "contrib" and "non-free" sources
3/ "nvidia" driver from nvidia website
4/ VESA driver (not recommended)

... and recommended people use the vesa driver.

nv obviously won't immediately stop working, but as x.org releases new versions of the client and server, bit-rot will inevitably set in.

I am currently using option #2 for my GeForce 7600GS in Debian lenny and works pretty well.

I use #3 with a 7300GS in a mixed 32/64-bit environment (totally unsupported by Nvidia, but works like a charm).

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?