Re: Linux compatible mainboards -another thought

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:44:38 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 2010-04-21 12:22, Camaleón wrote: [snip]
>>
>> For GeForce 7600GS you have the following options:
>>
>> 1/ "nv" driver (only 2-D)
>
> Except that Nvidia deprecated this driver a few weeks ago...

... only for "newer" (fermi) cards ;-)

>> 2/ "nvidia" driver from Debian "contrib" and "non-free" sources 3/
>> "nvidia" driver from nvidia website 4/ VESA driver (not recommended)
>
> ... and recommended people use the vesa driver.

Yes, how bad :-(

> nv obviously won't immediately stop working, but as x.org releases new
> versions of the client and server, bit-rot will inevitably set in.

I agree. I guess from now on nvidia will be pushing their own proprietary
drivers.

>> I am currently using option #2 for my GeForce 7600GS in Debian lenny
>> and works pretty well.
>>

> I use #3 with a 7300GS in a mixed 32/64-bit environment (totally
> unsupported by Nvidia, but works like a charm).

I find it a bit more difficult to manage (if you change the kernel, you
need to recompile the driver again).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón