Re: Increasing number of conflicts

On Tue, Apr 20 at 16:19, B. Alexander penned:
>    It's more of a packaging issue. For instance, there have been
>    several ABI changes, the most recent of which was the transition
>    from kde3 to kde4.  Packages getting left along the way.
>
>    Another thing is packages whcih seem to have gotten confused by
>    versions:
>
>    luatex: Conflicts: texlive-base-bin (< 2008) but 2007.dfsg.2-8 is
>    installed.
>    python-kde4: Depends: python-sip4 (>= <none>) but
>    4.10.2-1 is to be installed.

This might be a little painful for the KDE package, but I wonder what
would happen if you uninstalled them and then reinstalled them.

I'll admit, I've sometimes left packages on "hold" for months or even
a year before trying to figure it out.  Unless I specifically need a
feature available in the latest version of a package, I just let
things "work themselves out."  This may not be an acceptable approach
for everyone ...  personally I find it better than the alternatives,
which are

1) Run stable and have uniformly old packages (although I have a vague
notion that stable versions are being released more often now than
they used to be)

2) Run testing, which is really more an integration environment than a
distribution - although I've just checked the rules, and again they
seem to be much more friendly than I remember them.  I remembered
something like two weeks of clean living before a new version could
make it to testing, but either I remember wrong or things have
changed:

http://www.debian.org/devel/testing

Hrm.  Thanks for starting this discussion.  It seems that my
understanding of the distributions is (not|no longer) valid, and I need
to do some reading.

--
monique