Re: Increasing number of conflicts

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 2:48 AM, Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:
B. Alexander wrote:
I've got an issue with a sid box that I have been maintaining for a while. This is my workstation, and I have noticed a growing number of broken packages, unmet dependencies and conflicts. I have been using safe-upgrade for months now, hoping that it would work itself out over time. However, this hasn't happened. So what can I do to fix the problems without losing functionality? Below is the result of aptitude full-upgrade (forgive the cut-and-paste):
SNIP< Thanks,

I'm using KDE and it's fully up-to-date with no broken packages, your problem seems to be that you are holding obsolete/orphan packages, you may want to use Synaptic to look at your system and do some investigating as to why dependence are not being met.

This was sage advice, Jimmy. I had never used Synaptic much before, but the local or obsleted tab in conjunction with searching dpkg -l is a boon.

In my case, it appears the root of the problems are caused by bitrot. I probably need to come up with some method of rebuilding my sid boxes every so often. Prior to this, my rebuilds were done in 2000 and 2007...Maybe if I am going to run sid, I need to plan for an annual rebuild of the system...At least the workstations...

--b