Re: Increasing number of conflicts

On Tue, Apr 20 at  7:31, B. Alexander penned:

>    In my case, it appears the root of the problems are caused by
>    bitrot. I probably need to come up with some method of rebuilding
>    my sid boxes every so often. Prior to this, my rebuilds were done
>    in 2000 and 2007...Maybe if I am going to run sid, I need to plan
>    for an annual rebuild of the system...At least the
>    workstations...

I've been running sid on a headless box since 2002 or thereabouts,
with config files copied from an even older RedHat box.  No wipes /
rebuilds / etc.  There may have been a few panicked moments along the
way, but I think almost all of them were hardware related.  I may be
extraordinarily lucky, and I do think that the GUI packages add a lot
more complexity, or maybe simply a lot more packages and thus
opportunities for dependency problems.

If by "bitrot" you mean that files are corrupted, I'd take a look at
my storage devices and filesystem settings.

If by "bitrot" you mean that config files and such are becoming
increasingly dated ... I do fight that all the time, or rather I keep
telling aptitude to keep my modified files, promise myself that I'll
eventually take a look at the differences, and almost never do.

I don't know if it matters that I almost always use the curses
interface to aptitude; I usually get the updates, then let them sit
for a few days to give the bug reports a chance to roll in.  Anything
that shows up in apt-listbugs gets put on "hold", or when time allows,
investigated and permitted.  Anything that seems like an unnecessary
removal or generally "smells wrong" gets put on "hold" as well.
Periodically I check out what's on "hold" to see if the dependencies
are fixed yet.

It's worked for me so far ... YMMV etc.

--
monique