Re: PDF is blocked for printing, etc. OK for acroread (it behaves as expected), but KPDF allows me to print it, even if it is protected! Why?

On 2010-04-19 16:17, Merciadri Luca wrote:
Russ Allbery wrote:
I think people are not understanding why users use this feature in some
environments.
/
Yes, sometimes it's a misguided attempt at DRM, but I've more often seen
it inside a workplace as defense in depth against *mistakes*.  One might,
for instance, mark a document as not printable because it contains social
security numbers and salary information and it's corporate policy not to
create hard copies of the document beause of the risk of exposure of
personal information that might put the company at legal risk.
Good example.

The "problem" is that Windows is a jailed, restricted, dumbed-down environment "operated" by so many clueless users.

It's almost certain that there is the occasional Windows user (and with a user base approaching 10^9, "occasional" is still a very large absolute figure!) who have the motivation and mental clarity to Google "break pdf encryption".

So, you need to ask yourself:
(a) Does this "colleague" run Linux?
(b) If so, will he read it with Acroread?
(c) Will he be be motivated enough and clever[0] enough to
    Google "break pdf encryption"?

[0] You know society is doomed when Googling is considered "clever".

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?