Re: How to migrate my localhost php site to my ISP - Was: willing to learn php basics

On Sat, Apr 17 at 11:15, Bernard penned:

> Thanks for your help Monique. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes
> sense that the ISP only allows one user to log into databases.
> Problem is that outside users will have to connect to my database
> through a php script that will contain my password !

Nope.  There are a few ways to deal with this; Joe mentioned a common
one, which is to have your password stored in a file that's outside of
your website directory.

Bear in mind, many, many people and businesses have successfully built
websites using both their own servers and host providers.  So for
almost any "wait, that can't be right, because it causes this
problem!" situation - there's almost certainly a readily available
solution.

> >>Could someone tell me where I could find relevant information and
> >>docs ? And maybe mention one or more ISP that would provide
> >>suitable mysql facilities ?
> >
> >As for hosting companies, I have been very happy with www.pair.com
> >for years.  They provide I believe three database users -
> >read-only, read-write, and full access.  You would only use the
> >full access user to create the database structure - tables,
> >indexes, etc.

Given that this is a Debian list, I should mention that Pair runs
FreeBSD systems, not Linux.

> Prior to subscribing to an expensive hosting, I wish to test the
> system on free ISP. I have two of them here. I tested them both, but
> testing did not go far as for now, since I am far from having
> understood how it is supposed to work. No doc is provided

*snip*

In my experience paying for web hosting - you do get what you pay for.
Pair is not the cheapest host in the business, but they have
had phenomenal uptimes, excellent support, and provide reasonable
access to the system.  I've been burned by cheap web hosts before -
including a company that cancelled a friend's account because he'd
typed "ls /etc" and they found it in his bash history file.  Wow.  I'm
not saying that you can't find a good host cheaper than Pair - for me
personally, Pair is cheap enough and good enough that I haven't looked
further since I started using them.  I should also note that I'm only
running a personal vanity site, not a business or service.  And if
you're not based in the US, I don't know how much sense it makes to
work with a US host provider.

I've never installed mysqladmin, so I can't speak to that.  I've
always just used command line tools for mySQL.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound like an advertisement for one particular
company.  I'm sure there are many reputable, reliable hosting
companies out there.  It does sound like you need a fair amount of
information to do this for the first time, so you might want to choose
a host provider that explicitly includes support as part of the deal.

--
monique