Re: How to migrate my localhost php site to my ISP - Was: willing to learn php basics

On Thu, Apr 15 at 23:43, Bernard penned:
I have now got to a point that I have a working MySQL database
system on my localhost machine. I thought that I would not have any
problem migrating this to my ISP appropriate MySQL space, but so far
I have failed to do so. Local doc is very scarce, and I did not find
any relevant FAQ. I did find the relevant paths though, and
succeeded installing a short php script which displays the current
date, using strftime(), but there is no way I can access databases.
From the online doc, I learnt that I can't create databases, and
that I can just create tables under the database that already
exists. If I import a table, only its structure gets imported, not
its content, and then an error message says that I don't have
privileges for this... so I am surely missing something as far as
setting up is concerned, or initialization. In my efforts to fetch
info, I got a few hints, but they were negative ones, for instance
someone kind of said that most ISP did not allow their customers to
more than one authenticated user. This would mean that I could not
expect to install a database that would be available to the members
of a club, each of them having a login and password.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but ... typically you would
have *one* login that the website uses to talk to the database.
Website users would not authenticate by logging into the database -
they would authenticate by having a username and (possibly encrypted)
password stored in the database, which you would somehow retrieve and
compare.

Thanks for your help Monique. I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense that the ISP only allows one user to log into databases. Problem is that outside users will have to connect to my database through a php script that will contain my password !
Could someone tell me where I could find relevant information and
docs ? And maybe mention one or more ISP that would provide suitable
mysql facilities ?

As for hosting companies, I have been very happy with www.pair.com for
years.  They provide I believe three database users - read-only,
read-write, and full access.  You would only use the full access user
to create the database structure - tables, indexes, etc.
Prior to subscribing to an expensive hosting, I wish to test the system on free ISP. I have two of them here. I tested them both, but testing did not go far as for now, since I am far from having understood how it is supposed to work. No doc is provided, except links for general docs. As previously said, I have been able to connect and succeed in a few requests, but, obviously I lack a "full priviledge" (root) status. I do have mysqladmin installed on both ISP machines, but I can do very little with it : '... denied for user bdebreil...'. Reading the general mysqladmin doc tells me that I have to create a super user (as I did in my local mysql machine on my PC), but nothing works. Same thing with my other ISP. Using php scripts, some sql request do work, for instance I can manually add content to an empty database that I have imported using phpmyadmin (import with no data, data refused: 'access denied...'), but I have no such thing as 'FILE' privilege, so that I cannot import data using 'LOAD DATA [LOCAL] INFILE ...' as I do on my local machine. Of course, anything such as 'GRANT [privilege] does not work either. The mysqladmin doc says that one has to create a config.inc.php file in the same folder as 'Mysqladmin documentation.html'... but I have no access to that folder... I would be tempted to write to my ISP system administrator, but, since I found that I have the same config at both my ISPs, I imagine that this is the way it is supposed to be..

By the way, just in case I would decide to subscribe to pair.com, would you know if it is possible to subscribe for a short time, 3 months for instance ? I know of an ISP in Switzerland that is quite a bit cheaper, but then you have to subscribe for at least two years (80 Euros for the first year, 120 Euros for each following year)