How to migrate my localhost php site to my ISP - Was: willing to learn php basics

Hi Avi, Hi to Everyone,

Avi Greenbury wrote:
Bernard wrote:
Have I got to install one or more Debian packages for PHP ?
'$apt-cache search PHP' gives too many results for a choice.

You want to do
# apt-get install php5 php-mysql apache2

Which will also pull in the php5 apache module.
By default, the web pages live under /var/www, the php config file
is /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini and the apache config is all
under /etc/apache2/, with apache2.conf being the 'main' config file.

There're several howtos on the net to talk you through it, howtoforge
is a bit of a goldmine for them.
I have now got to a point that I have a working MySQL database system on my localhost machine. I thought that I would not have any problem migrating this to my ISP appropriate MySQL space, but so far I have failed to do so. Local doc is very scarce, and I did not find any relevant FAQ. I did find the relevant paths though, and succeeded installing a short php script which displays the current date, using strftime(), but there is no way I can access databases. From the online doc, I learnt that I can't create databases, and that I can just create tables under the database that already exists. If I import a table, only its structure gets imported, not its content, and then an error message says that I don't have privileges for this... so I am surely missing something as far as setting up is concerned, or initialization. In my efforts to fetch info, I got a few hints, but they were negative ones, for instance someone kind of said that most ISP did not allow their customers to more than one authenticated user. This would mean that I could not expect to install a database that would be available to the members of a club, each of them having a login and password.

Could someone tell me where I could find relevant information and docs ? And maybe mention one or more ISP that would provide suitable mysql facilities ?

If the MySQL server and databases end up to the webspace that my Internet
Provider allows to me, I suppose that the PHP interpreter and/or
compiler will have to be there, not on my system ?

Interpreter, and yes.
If you want to serve the pages to the outside world, you can do so from
your PC by opening the relevant ports on your firewall.

Still, I suppose that I must install something locally so as to be
able to send meaningfull commands using appropriate scripts ?

If you want to test locally and then upload to your ISP-provided
webspace, you can do that by ftping the .php files. You'll want to know
how their php/mysql environment is configured, though, and configure
yours likewise. Also check database names.
You can transfer database data by 'exporting' it through mysqldump,
uploading the resulting file, and then 'importing' it - the dump is
just a list of the SQL commands required to populate the database.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)