Re: How to migrate my localhost php site to my ISP - Was: willing to learn php basics

On Thu, Apr 15 at 23:43, Bernard penned:
> I have now got to a point that I have a working MySQL database
> system on my localhost machine. I thought that I would not have any
> problem migrating this to my ISP appropriate MySQL space, but so far
> I have failed to do so. Local doc is very scarce, and I did not find
> any relevant FAQ. I did find the relevant paths though, and
> succeeded installing a short php script which displays the current
> date, using strftime(), but there is no way I can access databases.
> From the online doc, I learnt that I can't create databases, and
> that I can just create tables under the database that already
> exists. If I import a table, only its structure gets imported, not
> its content, and then an error message says that I don't have
> privileges for this... so I am surely missing something as far as
> setting up is concerned, or initialization. In my efforts to fetch
> info, I got a few hints, but they were negative ones, for instance
> someone kind of said that most ISP did not allow their customers to
> more than one authenticated user. This would mean that I could not
> expect to install a database that would be available to the members
> of a club, each of them having a login and password.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but ... typically you would
have *one* login that the website uses to talk to the database.
Website users would not authenticate by logging into the database -
they would authenticate by having a username and (possibly encrypted)
password stored in the database, which you would somehow retrieve and
compare.

> Could someone tell me where I could find relevant information and
> docs ? And maybe mention one or more ISP that would provide suitable
> mysql facilities ?

As for hosting companies, I have been very happy with www.pair.com for
years.  They provide I believe three database users - read-only,
read-write, and full access.  You would only use the full access user
to create the database structure - tables, indexes, etc.  You would
use either a read-only or read-write user in your web code, depending
on what you were doing.

They also have a nice library of help documents, which are apparently
freely available without requiring a login:

http://www.pair.com/support/knowledge_base/

And I think the command you want is "mysqldump" ... with the correct
parameters you should be able to tell it to create a file that
includes everything necessary to both create your table structures
*and* populate them with your data.  This of course assumes that
you're running the same version of mySQL on your local server as is
available on your host machine.

--
monique