Re: Wacom bamboo pen and touch in squeeze.

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 00:05:09 -0600, ajm wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:53:05AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> What's the story on getting this thing working?  I'm running Debian
>> Squeeze on an ASUS 1000HE.  The device doesn't seem to be recognised as
>> anything it knows what to do about.  It doesn't even seem to know it
>> can be a mouse.
>>
>> -- hendrik
>>

> Did not metion the model.  I have a Bamboo Model MTE-450A (note:  mine
> is usb not serial connection) The following is what I manualy had to add
> to my xorg.conf file:
>
> under this section "ServerLayout" add the following:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
> 	InputDevice     "stylus"                "SendCoreEvents"
>         InputDevice     "eraser"                "SendCoreEvents"
>         InputDevice     "cursor"                "SendCoreEvents"
>         InputDevice     "pad"                   # no core events
> EndSection
>

> then add the following sections:
>

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "stylus"
>         Driver          "wacom"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/wacom"
>         Option          "Type"                  "stylus" Option
>         "USB"                   "on"
> EndSection
>

> I hope this gives a starting point...

It's taken me a while to find the time to get back to this -- but I find
I don't have a /dev/input/wacom on my system, even when I plug in the
bamboo, whether at boot time or later.  By the way, it's a USB device, so
I expect things to be a bit dynamic.

And from the tests described in http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/
index.php/howto/main, I suspect the hardware isn't being recognised by
amy driver, let alone the wacom kernel module, even if I modprobe it.  Of
course, I can only do that after boot time...

I can't even install the current Debian squeeze package of wacom-tools,
because it conflicts with the current Debian squeeze package for xserver-
xorg-input-wacom.  It doesn't help to look at sid; those packages are the
same, so it looks as if waiting a few days for the pipeline to clear
isn't going to remedy the situation.

-- hendrik