Re: Fresh Debian Install w/o Exim?

On 2010-03-28 10:56 +0200, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 12:26:22AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
>
> aptitude remove exim4 && aptitude install postfix
>
> should do it (if you want to install postfix).
> One MTA conflicts with the other and removes its packages.

Better use "aptitude install postfix" or "aptitude install postfix exim4-"
instead.  Your above sequence will remove any package that depends on an
MTA which is probably not what you want.

> You may, exceptionally, need to dpkg --purge the exim4 components
> and there's no guarantee that there wont be something hard coded to
> expect exim _somewhere_ but the above has worked for me.

Any such package would be RC-buggy, but fortunately almost everyone uses
just the sendmail interface which is provided by any MTA.

Sven